The DLR PPN were delighted to attend the ‘Promoting Cultural Integration & Inclusion in the Workplace’ seminar, organised by dlr Integration Forum and dlr County Council on Thursday the 25th of January.
The event opened with an address by Reji C. Jacob: Chair of dlr Integration Forum who also introduced An Cathaoirleach, Councillor Dennis O’Callaghan and Seminar MC, Dr Claire McGing, Head of Equality, Diversity & Inclusion and Sexual Violence Prevention, Institute of Art, Design + Technology, Dún Laoghaire (IADT). Councillor Dennis O’Callaghan, Cathaoirleach welcomed the participants and made note of the supported efforts to promote cultural integration in DLR through the activity of the elected councilors, the executive and representatives of the dlr Integration Forum and the Public Participation Networks that sit on the various Strategic Policy Committees.
The event included two presentations:
- ‘Introduction to Intercultural Competency’- presentation by Kensika Monshengwo, Intercultural Training Coordinator, Immigrant Council of Ireland followed by Questions & Answers
- ‘Equality, Diversity & Inclusion for Improving the Quality of Management Education’ – presentation by Dr Josephine Browne, IADT; Dr Audrey Stenson, IADT and Tamara Markey, dlr Chamber followed by Questions & Answers
These were followed by group Workshops on ‘Identifying & Overcoming Barriers & Challenges to Promoting Cultural Integration & Inclusion in your Workplace and feedback.’ A panel discussion ensued, moderated by Dr Claire McGing on Overcoming Barriers to Promoting Cultural Integration & Inclusion in your Workplace with
- Lavish Thomas, Software Engineering Leader, Microsoft Ireland
- Orli Degani- Director, Co-Founder & Co-owner of O.H Degani Consultants& winner of dlr Chamber Diversity, Inclusion & Volunteering Award 2023
- Kensika Monshengwo, Immigrant Council of Ireland
- Dr Audrey Stenson, Principal Investigator EDIFY-EDU Project, IADT
The seminar ended with closing comments and next steps with Mamy Nzema, dlr Integration Forum, Dr Claire McGing, Siobhán Nic Gaoithín, Age-Friendly & amp; Social Inclusion Officer, dlr County Council.